Current vacancies to work with the Global Data Barometer team.
Apply online. Closing date extended to 22nd January 2021
The Global Data Barometer is recruiting for a Communications Intern on an initial three-month contract, starting in January 2021. This is an ideal opportunity to gain broad experience at the intersection of research communication, international development, and data policy, while earning a living wage and working within a dynamic global team.
The Communications Intern role will include:
- Layout and copy-editing of methodology consultation documents (using Google Docs);
- Publishing resources on the project website (WordPress) and through social media (primarily Twitter, LinkedIn);
- Coordinating and editing a series of blog posts profiling GDB regional hubs;
- Coordinating and editing a series of blog posts profiling GDB thematic partners;
- Contributing to the design of templates for the GDB global report;
- Developing the project mailing list and newsletter;
- Contributing content to partner newsletters.
Additionally, the intern may have opportunities to:
- Contribute to the global communications and dissemination strategy for the Global Data Barometer;
- Work with regional partners in developing their dissemination strategies;
- Contribute to fundraising activities.
Skills and experience
Candidates must have:
- Excellent proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Attention to detail and experience copy-editing through collaborative Google Docs;
- Experience generating content for the web and social media and managing accounts;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a remote-working team;
- Higher degree, work experience, or evidenced interests in technology or data policy.
Desirable skills and experience include:
- Experience developing and implementing communication strategies;
- Experience working in international development;
- In-depth understanding of open data, data governance, and wider data policy issues;
- Language skills and translation experience, particularly French and Spanish.
This is a remote working role. We do not envisage any travel during the initial internship period. Subject to budget and project plans, we may be able to extend the internship period for the right candidate.
The Global Data Barometer is committed to paying interns a living wage for between 15 and 35 hours a week. This will be set based on the location of the Intern and drawing on evidence from https://wageindicator.org/. This role will be arranged as a consultancy contract with our organisational partner, ILDA (based in Uruguay). The role holder will need to invoice monthly.
The core Global Data Barometer team meets for synchronous standup meetings twice-weekly between 1pm and 3pm GMT; we use Slack for ongoing communication.
We operate a peer-supervision system to support professional development, and you will have a line-manager to provide you with day to day support.
How to apply
Submit an application through our online application form by 22nd January 2021 including a short covering note explaining why you want to work with the Global Data Barometer, a short CV, and a writing sample.
We will shortlist applications on a rolling basis until Friday 22nd January 2021. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a short phone screening call prior to a full interview.